Have an AR15 or a battle rifle with a magnified optic? Want to push the limits of that setup at the outer edges of its capability? Want to identify your limits as a shooter with that setup? If you answered yes to any of those questions, then the Designated Marksman course is what you’re looking for. This course will show you how to extract all the potential you can, or what you never thought you had, out of your semiautomatic rifle. Here you’ll learn the fundamentals of precision shooting to include how to adjust and manipulate your optic, understand basic external ballistic theory, estimate ranges to targets, and read the wind. We’ll break the course down into two main components; offensive and defensive techniques, and use realistic shooting drills to drive home the fundamentals.
None, but you’ll be expected to possess a basic understanding of firearms safety and be familiar with your rifle and it’s controls. (It may be a good idea to have a carbine/battle rifle level one course completed, but it’s not a requirement for attendance.) And as always, an open mind and willingness to learn.
What you'll learn:
- Rifle manipulation and maintenance.Optic manipulation. (Focus/Parallax adjustment, Zeroing).
- The fundamentals of marksmanship.
- Basic Internal Ballistics.
- External Ballistics and Ballistic software.
- How to estimate and read wind.
- Range acquisition, estimation, and angular units of measure.
- Multiple target engagements.
- Known distance and unknown distance shooting.
- Introduction to unconventional shooting positions.
- Introduction to stress shooting.